Thursday 19 July 2018

Koln / Cologne


Koln from the top of its highest building

When I first visited Koln in 1979, my objective was to see the Cathedral, climb the bell tower and take a photo of the Hohenzollern Rail Bridge.  The first thing I did in Koln was to take a photo (using one of the precious 36 slides) of the railway station as I was very impressed with the structure. 

This time, I just wanted to have a look around while on the way to Utrecht and then France. 

The first thing I did was take another photo of the railway station, and then turn around to take a photo of the extension for suburban trains.


Main Line Station
Suburban Train Station


I still like stations! 



I walked across the Hohenzollern Rail Bridge and photographed it from several angles. 

The Hohenzollern Rail Bridge











I found too many padlocks.










Saw the Cathedral but did not climb the tower. 


I had a look inside.


One of the Cathedral Stained Glass Windows
The Inevitable Candles


















The Nave



And outside.

The door knocker on the front door. No one answered.


Koln has changed.  There has been considerable engineering work to separate the traffic and pedestrians resulting in a very large pedestrian area in front of the Cathedral.  The Cathedral building itself is undergoing a major renovation, whereas in 1979 there was still plenty of evidence of WW2 damage.  There is a new stadium and entertainment centre, and thousands of major and minor improvements as you would expect in 39 years.

But I still like the railway station.

Outside view of the station

No comments:

Post a Comment