Monday 20 June 2011

The Start


Thirty five years ago, in March 1976, I left Sydney and headed for South Africa, first stop Mauritius.  I kept in touch with my family, and occasionally with my friends, with an aerogram once every two weeks or so. I took slides on my Canon Ftb, with 50 mm, 1.4 lens (still the best lens I ever owned). We phoned home occasionally by queuing up at the Post Office and calling reverse charges.





Yesterday, I left for France, via Isle de Réunion, just a short hop across the water from Mauritius, and decided that this time I might try my hand at recording the trip on a blog.  I started this blog a few weeks ago just to see how to do it, so I thought I might use it!

The trip will last around 5 weeks, and will cover a few days in Isle de Réunion looking for volcanoes and bananas (not the $14 per kilo bananas with no taste), followed by some family visits in Paris and Mamers (where we will catch up with Vanessa), then down to Vendee to visit  Dominique’s cousin, Gerard.  From there we will cross to the Island of Noirmoutier to be there for the start of the Tour de France.  The race will leave the island along the famous "Passage du Gois" (the submersible road) to the mainland and away for a couple of weeks of pain  - provided they meet the tide.  We, on the other hand, will head down to the South of France, and over to Corsica, before heading back through Paris and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment