Tuesday 19 March 2013

Premium Economy


Now that I have arrived in Frankfurt I am in a position to report on the Premium Economy Experience Qantas Style.  It seems very much like a slightly toned down version of the old business class before lie flat beds were introduced.  The seats are bigger, so that there are only two rather than three seats on the window rows, the spacing is greater so that I can stretch my full 1.71m frame without being constrained by the back of the seat in front of me, and there are the little benefits of boarding with the business class passengers, having more space to stow bags overhead and business class tags on the bags for faster collection at the end.  All in all a positive experience.  

We arrived in good shape after grabbing six or seven hours sleep (in 23 hours) on the way.  It is questionable whether it is worth around two and a half times the price of the economy seat, but it did look crowded back there. 

Qantas knows how to take the edge of a good experience.  There were no dedicated premium economy toilets, so we had to queue with the economy class passengers to use the facilities.  If one had the temerity to sneak up to the business class toilets, the comparison was stark, with cotton hand towels and expensive soaps and creams available.  There was no toiletry pack.  Normally, in such a pack one finds toothpaste, a shaver – since it is not possible to take one through security – eye covers to allow sleep while the lights are on, and ear plugs to cut the noise of the engines.  So, since I was expecting a toilet pack, I had none of these and it reduced my enjoyment of the flight.  There was no general screen for safety videos, and since we were required to stow our personal screens for take-off and landing, I was not properly briefed on safety.  In fact, I could not hear the safety presentation, which I am sure breaches some sort of operating protocol.
 
Overall these are teething issues, and it is clear that the service is an add-on to the existing configuration back fitted to the aircraft.  However, given the cost, they could have taken better care of the details.  I am still undecided on Premium Economy, but I know I hate Economy!

No comments:

Post a Comment